Saturday, January 20, 2007

Good Bye Old Friends

Life has become a daily bargaining experience. How much am I willing to give up and what is non-negotiable?

I bought a new rolling pin and wooden spoons at the grocery store today. I accept that gluten can linger on some food utensils, particularly porous ones like wood. I'm willing to replace the wooden spoons and the rolling pin. Wooden spoons have always been a staple in my kitchen. I need them. I don't know how anyone cooks without them. Some of them were old friends I've had since the day I moved out on my own. I had them in all shapes and sizes and colors. Each was unique. The rolling pin was my first. I pretty much learned from cook books and cooking shows. The utensils and pots and pans shared in my triumphs and abysmal disasters. They were the only company I had in the kitchen as I was learning.

But okay, I can accept that they had to go. I'm willing to concede that one. And that is what it has become: how much am I willing to give up? Rather than live in fear of what might lurk in the wood grain of the spoons I agreed to toss them. But that's as far as I'll go today. I will not toss the virtually new pots. They are the first real semi-expensive matching set of good pots I have ever owned. I bought them last year. They were kind of a coming of age for me. I will not give them up.

I refuse to accept that gluten can linger on the surface of pots and pans and bowls. If it does? If I'm wrong? Too bad. I'm not willing to give them up right now. I have to draw the line somewhere don't you understand? It cannot have everything. I will not allow that. If that's not rational well so be it. I can only handle so much truth these days okay? There's what's true and rational and there's what I can handle.

No comments:

My New Friend Pal